author: The Population Bomb
Job Growth, Increasing Production And More Consumption – Holy Grail Or Siren Songs Leading Us To Destruction?
- In our documentary, GrowthBusters: Hooked on Growth, our examination of population, consumption and urban growth ultimately leads us to the root cause of these challenges: an insistence on perpetual economic growth.
- Continually rising GDP is in conflict with our goal of sustainability: leaving adequate resources to support future generations.
- There are alternative metrics to gauge our happiness and success. Genuine Progress Indicators (GPI) and Gross National Happiness are two examples.
- Some thought leaders have been urging us for years to embrace economic stability instead of perpetual growth.
Join us in further exploring this issue on the filmmaker’s blog.
Possibly the most important reading you can do (and share with others) on this subject: The End of Growth by Richard Heinberg
For More Information
- The Limits to Growth
- Steady-State Economics
- Economic Heresy
- Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy
- The Unsustainability of Economic Growth
- Capitalism Depends on Perpetual Economic Growth
- Economic Growth and Climate Change
- Does Economic Growth Lift People Out of Poverty?
- Prosperity Without Growth
- What Every Environmentalist Needs to Know About Capitalism
- Beyond Growth
- The Economics of the Coming Spaceship Earth
- Herman Daly on “Sustainable Growth”
- The Fallacy of Growth in a Finite World
- Economics Has Met the Enemy and it is Economics
- Why De-Growth?
- E.F. Schumacher Society
For Your Bookshelf
- The End of Growth
- Collision Course: Endless Growth on a Finite Planet
- Supply Shock: Economic Growth at the Crossroads and the Steady State Revolution
- Enough is Enough
- The Crash Course
- Mismeasuring Our Lives: Why GDP Doesn’t Add Up
- The Transition to a Sustainable and Just World
- Farewell to Growth
- Small is Beautiful
- Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future